Pure, Quality Products
Catnip Essential Oil
Name: Catnip Essential Oil
Species: Nepeta cataria var citriodora
Part: Flowering tops
Extraction: Steam Distilled
Aroma: Herbaceous, earthy, strong, hay-like
$8.97 – $39.97
Catnip Essential Oil 100% Pure
|Name||Catnip Essential Oil|
|Color||pale yellow to orange|
|Aroma||herbaceous, earthy, strong, hay like|
|Blend Ideas||grapefruit, lavender, lemon, lemon eucalyptus, marjoram, peppermint, orange, rosemary, spearmint|
We source only pure essential oils.
We like small amounts of Catnip Essential Oil in outdoor blends, usually combined with a number of oils (including Lemon Eucalyptus). You'll find that our Lemon Heaven blend contains both of these. You'll find that catnip's scent isn't the most pleasant on its own but luckily, it doesn't take much to be effective. Blended properly, you can use this oil in your blends.
When combined with other calming oils, catnip essential oil can be an effect addition to a nighttime blend. Again, use very small amounts and blend slowly to create a palatable scent!
Catnip contains nepetalactone which is said to attract cats and be effective in outdoor blends. This constituent is similar in structure to valepotriates, the sedative principal in valerian ~ paraphrased from Aromatherapy for Health Professionals: Price and Price
Links to outside sources open in a new tab or window and may be affiliate links to items we use and trust in.
Catnip Essential Oil Safety Info
According to Tisserand and Young, Catnip essential oil has no contraindication. This oil should be avoided orally due to possible CNS effects. This oil could be a dermal sensitizer, especially if used beyond shelf life Source: Tisserand, Robert and Young, Rodney. Essential Oil Safety: A Guide for Health Care Professionals: Churchill Livingstone; 2 edition (December 2, 2013). Reading the full profile for Catnip Essential Oil is highly recommended by your DeRu Extracts staff.
While we’ve made this clear that we are selling this essential oil to use in your diffuser, your inhaler, or topically (diluted), it is a pure essential oil and can be used as such. With all essential oils:
Keep away from children.
Oral Safety is only given because many people have been told to take oils internally. Because several people look to us for safety advice, we feel obligated to offer those safety statements, although we do not believe anyone should be ingesting essential oils without being guided by an expert. Experts will take your medical history into account before they suggest oils for you to ingest, diffuse, or use topically.
Catnip Essential Oil • Nepeta cataria
Catnip • Nepeta cataria
|Humulene epoxide II||0.16|
1. Antimicrobial and Antioxidant Activity of the Essential Oil and Methanol Extract of Nepeta cataria
2. Antioxidant Activities and Phenolic Composition of Extracts From Nepeta Plant Species
3. Behavioral Activity of Catnip (Lamiaceae) Essential Oil Components to the German Cockroach (Blattodea: Blattellidae)
4. Catnip, Nepeta cataria (Lamiales: Lamiaceae)—A Closer Look: Seasonal Occurrence of Nepetalactone Isomers and Comparative Repellency of Three Terpenoids to Insects
5. Chemical Composition and Antimicrobial Activities of Essential Oils from Nepeta cataria L. against Common Causes of Food-Borne Infections
6. Efficacy and safety of catnip (Nepeta cataria) as a novel filth fly repellent*
7. Essential oil analysis and phytotoxic activity of catnip (Nepeta cataria L.)
8. Evaluation of the antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory effects of essential oil of Nepeta pogonosperma Jamzad et Assadi in rats
9. Phytochemical and antibacterial activities of leaf extracts of Nepeta cataria
10. Sustainable manufacture of insect repellents derived from Nepeta cataria
Information provided has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
The International Federation of Aromatherapists does not recommend that Essential Oils be taken internally unless under the supervision of a Medical Doctor who is also qualified in clinical Aromatherapy. All cautions listed for individual oils do not include those cautions from ingestion.
Links to outside sources open in a new tab or window and are often affiliate links to items we use and trust in. This means that, at no additional cost to you, we may receive a commission if you click through them and make a purchase. For instance, as an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For educational purposes only.